Friday, May 15, 2020

A Conundrum of Connections


     


When you research your family you are bound to find interesting connections. But, I think my family connections might be unique! I married William McCardle, his mother’s first husband was Roy Mitchell Rodgers.  When I started looking into my family, I found out that my father’s sister, Esther Self had married Cuthbert Rodgers, Roy Mitchell Rodger’s son! Further research led me to find out that another one of my father’s  sisters , Edith Self had married Julian T. Anthony whose mother was Susie Rodgers Anthony, the sister of Roy Mitchell Rodgers.  

     A few years ago, I was gifted more than 150 letters written by my 2nd great paternal grandparents Marcus and Martha Dumas Ely during the Civil War. The correspondence of Marcus and Martha turned into a book, A Just and Holy Cause?. I researched all the men in the unit with Marcus and found some very interesting connections. Samuel Craig Rodgers was in the unit (54th Ga., Infantry, Company H) along with his brothers Adam, William and James.  Samuel Craig Rodgers was the grandfather of Roy Mitchell Rodgers and the great grandfather of my brothers-in-law, James, Will and Curtis Rodgers and sister-in-law, Dorothy. 

     Roy Mitchell Rodger's first wife was Inez Reese, the daughter of Frank Reese. Frank Reese was the son of Edmond Head Reese, my maternal grandfather Tulian Clements Reese's great uncle. 

     I thought that was the end of my connection with the Rodger's until I started researching Tulian Clements Reese's children from his first wife, Nancy Bedell Smith. Mildred Lavinia Reese married Edwin Talbot, the son of Gabe and Mamie Rodgers Talbot. I have found that Mamie Rodgers was the daughter of Oscar Pickney Rodgers. Oscar Rodger's father was Samuel Craig Rodgers*. 

   I found Marcus Ely's obituary among the letters of my great great Ely grandparents. It stated that Oscar Rodgers was a pall bearer! I think this connection has come full circle. It is connected through the Civil War, relatives and marriages! I hope you'll find connections in your family research.  


*You can read more about Samuel Craig Rodgers in my blog A Just and Holy Cause?. Just follow this link   

http://www.ajustandholycause.org/2020/05/samuel-craig-rodgers.html


No comments:

Post a Comment